Home
Karen B. London
Print|Email|Text Size: ||
Velcro Dogs
Picking up allergens a hazard
Tyson

Usually when people talk about “Velcro dogs,” they mean the kind who are clingy and extremely emotionally attached to their guardians. That sort of Velcro dog makes sure you never feel alone, much less lonely, and keeps you from ever having to go any place, such as the bathroom, all by yourself.

 
There’s another kind of Velcro dog, which is perhaps of greatest interest to people with allergies. These dogs are the ones who go frolicking through the fields and gardens bringing home seeds, pollen, dust and every other sort of allergen that can get attached to a dog’s fur.
 
I had a client with severe allergies to all sorts of plants as well as many other things. She got a poodle specifically because her research had revealed that this breed is less likely to aggravate allergies than many other breeds. And it was true—her dog did not seem to set off her allergies. Unfortunately, if her dog went outside, as dogs tend to do, he collected all sorts of debris in his coat that DID cause her allergies to flare up. She was the one who first referred to his coat as a sort of Velcro that attached to anything and everything that she was allergic to.
 
By keeping him groomed with a fairly short cut, by staying on top of the advice of her allergist, and by choosing carefully where her dog was allowed to run loose, she was able to enjoy both her dog AND the feeling of being able to breathe, but it was a situation that required a lot more management than she had originally been anticipating.
 
Has anyone else had this problem of allergies being triggered not directly by your dog, but by what got stuck in your dog’s coat?

 

Print|Email

Karen B. London, PhD, is a Bark columnist and a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist specializing in the evaluation and treatment of serious behavior problems in the domestic dog.

CommentsPost a Comment
Please note comments are moderated. After being approved your comment will appear below.
Submitted by Anonymous | November 12 2010 |

I think I got poison oak from my dog. I now keep him on leash and close by when we walk through areas with poison oak. (He did not have a reaction, but I think he transfered the oil from the plant to me on his coat.)

More From The Bark

Dog stands outside of glass sliding door
By
Karen B. London
By
Karen B. London
By
Karen B. London
More in Karen B. London:
A Dog in Front and a Dog Behind
Resembling Our Dogs
Favorite Facial Expressions
Handler Stress Improves Dog Performance
Greeting Old Friends
Problem Solving Recalls
Dog Fire Hydrant
Learning to Handle Stairs
Knowing Human Names
Stick Close!